If you are a teenager or parent looking for teeth straightening, you would’ve already heard about Braces and Invisalign. Misaligned and crooked teeth are not only aesthetically poor but also pose oral health issues. Misaligned teeth make brushing and flossing difficult as a result food particle gets stuck in between the teeth. Those food particles can cause a cavity.
The few advantages of having aligned and straighter teeth are as follows:
- It keeps the teeth clean
- Improves the longevity of your natural teeth
- Improve the facial appearance of a patient
Till 2000 beginning braces were the only choice available for teeth straightening. But today, we have more options available for straightening the teeth, thanks to the innovation in orthodontics. But with all these choices comes uncertainty. That’s why we have decided to compare both Invisalign and brace.
What exactly is Invisalign:
Invisalign is a series of invisible, custom-fit aligners that shift the teeth to the desired position. You will have to change the aligner every two weeks. Every new aligner would push the teeth more than the previous aligner. The number of aligners required depends on the severity of the cases.
Invisalign vs Braces cost:
The cost of both the treatment varies from to cases. The average cost for braces is 3000$- 5000$. Whereas Invisalign would cost you anywhere between 5000$- 7000$. Different factors influence the expense of the treatment you incur.
The different factors include
- The experience of your Orthodontist: Orthodontists with more experience are more likely to charge you extra compared to the ones with lesser experience.
- The location where you stay: Different cities have different prices. The cost for teeth straightening in Newyork can be different from the cost that you will pay in London or Paris.
- Severity of the cases: Severe and complicated cases may require more aligners and repeated dental clinic visits. Which will add to the overall cost of the treatment.
Is Invisalign Faster than Braces?
The average time for straightening the teeth with Invisalign is 12-18 months. Compliancy of patients with instruction can be a factor in determining the duration of treatment. To get the optimum results, the patient should wear Invisalign aligners for 22 hours. If not, that can result in prolonged treatment time. The different studies had found that Invisalign works faster and effective with mild aligning issues. The complicated and severe problems of alignments are better treated with traditional Braces.
We have been talking about traditional braces now let’s look into the
pros and cons of it.
What are the traditional braces:
traditional braces consist of small brackets fixed to your teeth, linked by a wire and held to bracket by a rubber hand. The traditional braces require tightening of the wire every 4 -6 weeks. This shifts your teeth into places slowly.
Pros and cons of traditional braces :
- Versatile: Traditional braces can treat and align even the most challenging cases. It is the most effective treatment for aligning crooked teeth.
- Results: It can often achieve better results than Invisalign
- treatment time: traditional braces treat “closing gap & aligning the teeth” quicker than Invisalign
Cons of the treatment with Traditional Braces:
- Aesthetics: Most teenagers and young people don’t like the appearance of braces. It makes them conscious about how they look in social settings. And studies have found a confidence drop in teenagers with braces.
- Oral Hygiene: Since the metal braces are permanent the brushing and flossing become difficult. As result, the patients develop poor Oral hygiene and Cavities.
- Diet: with metal braces you can’t enjoy all the food you have been eating. Sticky and Hard dishes can unlodge or break the archwire, so one must be careful with the sticky or hard foods.
Both the traditional braces and Invisalign have their pro and cons. If you are a teenager who is concerned about the physical appearance of metal braces you can choose Invisalign. But if removing the aligners before food and beverage seem inconvenient then Traditional braces could be the best option for you.
Still, confused? take your smile assessment